Monday, May 13, 2013

My Humble Abode

     I was able to go the the store last night, my room is almost equipped for an acceptable lifestyle. It's going to be pasta for a few days, though, until I get a chance to go to the other store. The store I went to, Cora, is like a giant Super Walmart combined with a Sears and maybe half of a Best Buy. The other store is mostly groceries at better prices than Cora, I think.
     I quickly figured out that I'm going to need to learn how to say "hello", "yes", and "thank you" in French. Trying to communicate while checking out at the store and buying a pizza was just embarrassing.

This is my kitchen. There are many like it, but this one is mine.


 Not very big, but it's more than enough space for one person. And I'm pretty sure there's a room on every floor for group hangouts.

Today, we'll have orientation and a tour of Metz. Tomorrow classes start (FUN).

4 comments:

  1. Maybe they speak some German in that area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They always ask you at Cora, "vous avez carte Cora?" which means do you have a Cora card (like a Kroger card). Always threw me off for a second but just say "no".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, you're right about the "hello" and "thank you" stuff. They are good to know. Otherwise, they might think you're stuck-up and rude, although I think the people at Cora have seen enough GTL students to figure it out by now.

    But you're supposed to greet bus drivers when you want to buy a bus ticket. "Bonjour, monsieur, je voudrais une billet une/deux voyage(s), s'il vous plaît." It's a better deal to buy the 10-trip tickets at the Tabac in Cora, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello = bounjour
    Merci = thank you
    Oui = yes, but also the name of a dirty magazine
    Waiter = Garcon! The French custom is to only bring the check when you loudly yell "Garcon!" and snap you fingers in the air.

    ReplyDelete